Participants will clarify personal values, translate values to action, and generate impact through coursework, student-driven projects, public interest and community service programs during their time at Yale-NUS.
The certificate aims to produce leaders who drive social change in their respective communities by developing self-awareness, engendering collaboration and committing to a common purpose.
Leadership at Yale-NUS
At Yale-NUS, Leadership is seen as:
- inclusive and accessible to everyone
- a process, not a position
- encompass community involvement/service
- socially responsible, and impacts change on behalf of others
Anchored in the College Mission, the Leadership Certificate will equip students with skills to enable social change through different tiers of engagement – self, other and community.
The certificate is structured such that engagement is progressively stepped up, as students work to develop self-awareness, engender collaboration with other, and commit to common purpose with community:
The certificate ultimately aims to nurtures a self-transformed mind (Kegan and Lahey, 2009).
As part of this experience, students can expect to:
- Clarify personal values and purpose
- Hone initiative and iterative learning
- Develop one or more industry/technical skill(s)
- Engender collaboration
- Serve the community.
A summary of the key competencies that students will engage with through their experience is outlined below.
All Yale-NUS students are eligible to enrol, and should ideally do so by their freshman year.
For more details on how the Leadership Certificate works:
Head here, if you are from the Class of 2017, 2018, 2019.
Head here if you are from the Class of 2020 or later.
Please indicate your interest in the Leadership Certificate here so we can keep you informed on related news and updates.
Join the conversation across leadership programs and the certificate by joining this Facebook group!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What does the Leadership Certificate offer? Through the Leadership Certificate sequence, students are expected to:
- Gain clarity over personal values and purpose
- Acquire experience to drive effective collaboration and service
- Develop skills and expertise to translate personal values into impact, with and for the broader community.
- How do I enroll in the Leadership Certificate? Students interested in pursuing the Leadership Certificate should enrol here to indicate interest in the Certificate. Once
enrolled, they will receive updates on opportunities related to the Certificate sequence.
- Is the Leadership Certificate competitive? The Leadership Certificate is open to all students interested in learning about leadership. So as long as you satisfactorily complete all necessary components before your graduation date, you qualify to receive a Certificate.
- Do I have to complete the sequence in a particular order? Yes, there is a recommended sequence to undertaking Leadership Certificate components. Generally, participants should complete compulsory courses as early as possible, and will wrap up the sequence with Leadership Symposium.
- Will the Leadership Certificate appear on my transcript? For now, the Leadership Certificate will not appear on your transcript, though this may change in future. Nonetheless, you can include the Certificate on your resume and CIPE can provide an endorsement/reference if needed.
- Are Leadership classes (such as Fundamentals, Ethics, Inside Out/Level Up) for credit? At the moment, all Leadership Certificate components are not credit-bearing.
- How often will Leadership Fundamentals, Leadership Ethics and Inside Out be offered? These courses will be scheduled such that each course will be available once every academic year. Course offerings will be distributed across both semesters.
- How is the Leadership Certificate different than the Intercultural Peer Advisor Programme? The Leadership Certificate has a broader focus than the Intercultural Peer Advisor Programme. In addition to intercultural diversity and cross-cultural competencies, the leadership certificate will also encompass engagement with social justice, social innovation among others. It will also involve and impact the broader community, beyond Yale-NUS.
If you have any further questions regarding the Leadership Certificate, please contact Yock-Theng at firstname.lastname@example.org.