This course, taught by a leadership coach during the semester, will explore the fundamentals of leadership through an eclectic, multi-disciplinary approach. Here, leadership is conceptualised as an act, or series of acts, that galvanise resources and people in pursuit of a particular vision (N. Keohane, 2012).
Please note that the completion of this course is required in order to be awarded the Leadership Certificate. It is recommended that you take this course before Inside Out.
This course is limited to 25 participants, and priority will be given to students enrolled in the Leadership Certificate.
Please submit your application and intent by Sunday, 27 August 11:59 pm to be considered for participation.
The course objectives are:
- Working with Yourself
Effective leaders understand their dreams and goals. Knowing their “inner compass,” they mesh their decisions to their values, enabling them to thrive in their mission despite potentially hostile environments. This element of the course will help students clarify personal direction and leadership goals. For this, they will be exposed to mind training used by elite performers, e.g., mindful meditation and simulations that clarify their sense of purpose.
- Working with Others
By being attuned to both the priorities of their group and the perceptions group members have of them, effective leaders may skillfully mobilize group resources. For this, students will do group exercises and receive personalized feedback from peers.
Course outline, dates and times
Courses will mostly be held on Wednesdays, at Classroom 10 with the exception of 1 Saturday(where class runs at LKYSPP). They will run on the following dates:
16 September* (Class is on a Saturday and will run at LKYSPP)
Classes on Wednesdays will run from 4-7PM, whereas the session on Saturday will run from 9.15AM to 12.30PM.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
About the Instructor:
Jonathan is on the faculty of the National University of Singapore and the Singapore Management University where he teaches pragmatic courses in leadership. He is also an executive coach, psychologist and the director of Marshall Consulting, a boutique company focused on actualizing human potential. His clients include individuals who want to push their performance and well-being further, e.g., elite martial artists, as well as large companies, e.g., Microsoft, Proctor & Gamble, and the civil services of Singapore and Bhutan.
A third generation Singaporean, he served as a naval officer during his national service. He was in the startup that created Yahoo! Mail. His bachelor and doctoral degrees in psychology are from Stanford University, and his postdoctoral training was at Harvard University. His interests include blending Eastern and Western systems of psychology to increase well-being and performance in leaders.
- Who is eligible? All students are welcome to apply, but students enrolled in the Leadership Certificate will be given priority. Students are recommended to take this course in their freshman or sophomore year.
- Are there any costs associated? This programme is free to Yale-NUS students
- Will this programme occur again in the future? As a requirement of the Leadership Certificate award, this course will be offered once a year.
- Who is the leadership coach facilitating Leadership Fundamentals? The programme will be facilitated by Dr. Jonathan Marshall. Please see “About the Instructor” section above.
- How does the selection process work? We are looking for a commitment to growth rather than any prior leadership experience. Space is limited to 25 students to encourage a safe and intimate space for reflection and discussion.
- What happens if a candidate decides to drop out/can’t make one or more of the sessions? As with all other programs at CIPE, students are expected to attend all sessions associated. While we understand emergencies come up, participation in future CIPE programs are determined by the level of responsibility exercised by individual students.
- Does signing up for this programme impact students’ applications to other CIPE programs (e.g. LABs, summer opportunities)? Each CIPE opportunity is merit-based with its own selection process, but participation and fully completing Fundamentals would likely give students skills to put forward stronger applications to other CIPE programs.