About the Certificate
Grounded in the Social Change Model of Leadership (more references here), the Leadership Certificate offers an intentional and experiential multi-year sequence where participants will clarify personal values, translate values to action, and generate impact through action-learning during their time at Yale-NUS.
At Yale-NUS, Leadership is seen as:
- inclusive and accessible to everyone
- a process, not a position
- encompass community involvement/service
- socially responsible, and impacts change on behalf of others
Anchored in the College Mission, the Leadership Certificate will equip students with skills to enable social change through different tiers of engagement – self, other and community.
The certificate is structured such that engagement is progressively stepped up, as students work to develop self-awareness, engender collaboration with other, and commit to common purpose with community:
As part of this experience, students will hone the following competencies:
Participation is on an opt-in basis (i.e. all Yale-NUS students are eligible). Participants should ideally enrol by their freshman year.
For more details on how the Leadership Certificate works:
Head here, if you are from the Class of 2017, 2018, 2019.
Head here if you are from the Class of 2020 or later.
Please indicate your interest in the Leadership Certificate here so we can keep you informed on related news and updates.
Join the conversation across leadership programs and the certificate by joining this Facebook group!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What does the Leadership Certificate offer? Through the Leadership Certificate sequence, students are expected to:
- Gain clarity over personal values and purpose
- Acquire experience in effective collaboration and service
- Translate personal values into impact, with and for the broader community
- How do I enroll in the Leadership Certificate? Students interested in pursuing the Leadership Certificate should enrol here to indicate interest in the Certificate. Once enrolled, they will receive updates on opportunities related to the Certificate sequence.
- Is the Leadership Certificate competitive? The Leadership Certificate is open to all students interested in learning about leadership. So as long as you satisfactorily complete all necessary components before your graduation date, you qualify to receive a Certificate.
- Do I have to complete the sequence in a particular order? Yes, there is a recommended sequence to undertaking Leadership Certificate components. Generally, participants should complete compulsory courses as early as possible, and will wrap up the sequence with Leadership Symposium.
- Will the Leadership Certificate appear on my transcript? For now, the Leadership Certificate will not appear on your transcript, though this may change in future. Nonetheless, you can include the Certificate on your resume and CIPE can provide an endorsement/reference if needed.
- Are Leadership classes (such as Fundamentals, Ethics, Inside Out/Level Up) for credit? At the moment, all Leadership Certificate components are not credit-bearing.
- How often will Leadership Fundamentals, Leadership Ethics and Inside Out be offered? These courses will be scheduled such that each course will be available once every academic year. Course offerings will be distributed across both semesters.
- How is the Leadership Certificate different than the Intercultural Peer Advisor Programme? The Leadership Certificate has a broader focus than the Intercultural Peer Advisor Programme. In addition to intercultural diversity and cross-cultural competencies, the leadership certificate will also encompass engagement with social justice, social innovation among others. It will also involve and impact the broader community, beyond Yale-NUS.
If you have any further questions regarding the Leadership Certificate, please contact Yock-Theng at firstname.lastname@example.org.