CIPE offers the Summer Arts Scholarship to support students interested in pursuing a rigorous arts programme in a more applied and technical setting, such as in studio and performing arts. Programmes and courses taken do not have to offer academic credit to be eligible but must meet the below criteria.
Scholarships up to the amount of SGD 5,500 each are available to Yale-NUS students.
Successful candidates will receive the scholarship directly from the College and are fully responsible for application and payment to the summer programme provider as well as all other associated procedures. They will not be eligible to receive other sources of funding from CIPE for their summer programme approved for this scholarship or to use the scholarship for another CIPE summer opportunity.
For an overview of the scholarship application process and the procedures that follow, refer to the CIPE Summer Scholarships Infographic.
Info sessions for CIPE Summer Scholarships for 2020 will be held at these dates and times. Each session will include a short briefing (slides available here) and time for questions:
- 30 Oct, Wed, 3-4pm at Classroom 15
- 31 Oct, Thu, 10-11am at Classroom 15
- 5 Nov, Tue, 10-11am at Classroom 15
- 8 Nov, Fri, 3-4pm at Classroom 15
Criteria for Programme Selection
- Programmes must be academically rigorous
- Programmes must allow in-depth engagement. (Generally, programmes should be three to five weeks long. However, this will depend on the particular programme and the number of hours dedicated in and out of studio).
- Programme must end in time to allow students to return to Yale-NUS by the start of classes
- Student must be able to meet the programme application deadline
- Students may not enrol in online courses
Here are some recommended programmes for you to consider for this scholarship:
- Yale University School of Art
- New York Studio School
- Brandeis University
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Yale Norfolk
- UC Davis Art Studio in France
- Columbia University
- Bowdoin International Music Festival
- Yellow Barn
- Aspen Music Festival and School
- Tanglewood Institute
- Music Academy of the West
- Paul Taylor’s American Modern Dance
- Jacob’s Pillow
- Mark Morris Dance Group
Feel free to reach out to relevant faculty as you research programmes.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Full-time enrolled Yale-NUS students in good academic and disciplinary standing are eligible to apply for these scholarships. Priority consideration will be given to students in the Arts and Humanities major (or second year students intending to declare it as their major), as well as students doing non-introductory level programmes.
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following in a 300-400 word essay:
- How and why study in the chosen programme fits into their academic, professional or personal development (including details of learning goals, rigor of courses, and the reason for the location and school)
- Clear rationale for why they must pursue the course abroad instead of at Yale-NUS (provide programme details, including dates, times, courses, teachers)
- Plan to carry learning forward through further study or application of skills/knowledge gained
- Ability to serve as a good ambassador for Yale-NUS College; adaptability, flexibility
- Intent to bring learning back to Yale-NUS College and share with the community
- Essays must be clear, well-written, and grammatically correct
Wondering what the review committee is looking for in an application? Check out our summer scholarship application tips.
Timeline and Process
- 25 Oct 2019: Applications available from CIPE
- 22 Nov 2019: Application deadline (5pm)
- Late Nov – Early Dec: Committee meets to select recipients; finalists may be interviewed
- Mid Dec: Applicants notified of decisions; recipients have a week to confirm acceptance of the Scholarship.
- Mid Jan – Late Mar, 2020: Individual programme deadlines and admissions decisions made; Scholarship recipients to notify CIPE once they decide which programme to attend
- Mar – May: Individual programme deposits and tuition payments due
- Late Apr: Scholarship recipients to attend all mandatory CIPE Summer Orientation sessions
- May – Aug: Summer programmes in session
- Aug 2020: All scholarship recipients (Years 2-4) must be back by the first day of the semester to attend classes.
Click Here to Apply Now
To log in using your NUSNET ID and password (preferred), please select the option “I have a username and password” when prompted.
If you are experiencing difficulties accessing the online application, please email Lindsay ALLEN (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line Online Application – Summer Arts Scholarship.
Acceptance into this scholarship is conditional upon your participation in a pre-departure orientation at the end of April and submission of reflections post-summer.