CIPE is pleased to offer the Summer Arts Scholarship to support students interested in pursuing a rigorous arts programme of their choice in a more applied and technical setting, such as in studio and performing arts. Programmes and courses taken do not have to offer academic credit to be eligible but must follow the below criteria. Scholarships are up to SGD $5,000.
Criteria for Programme Selection
- Programmes must be academically rigorous
- Programmes must allow in-depth engagement. (Generally, programs should be 3 – 5 weeks long. However, this will depend on the particular programme and the number of hours dedicated in and out of studio).
- Programme must end in time to allow students to return to Yale-NUS by the start of classes
- Students may not enroll in online courses
Here are some recommended programs for you to consider for this scholarship:
- Yale University School of Art
- New York Studio School
- Brandeis University
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Yale Norfolk
- UC Davis Art Studio in France
- Columbia University
- Bowdoin International Music Festival
- Yellow Barn
- Aspen Music Festival and School
- Tanglewood Institute
- Music Academy of the West
- Paul Taylor’s American Modern Dance
- Jacob’s Pillow
- Mark Morris Dance Group
Click Summer arts programs of past scholarship recipients to see a list of programs that scholarship recipients have attended in the past.
Feel free also to reach out to relevant faculty or Fang Wei (firstname.lastname@example.org) as you research programs.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Full-time enrolled Yale-NUS students in good academic and disciplinary standing are eligible to apply for these scholarships. Successful applicants will demonstrate the following in a 300-400 word essay:
- How and why study in the chosen programme fits into their academic, professional, or personal development
- Clear rationale for why they must pursue the course abroad instead of at Yale-NUS
- Plan to carry learning forward through further study or application of skills/knowledge gained
- Ability to serve as a good ambassador for Yale-NUS College; adaptability, flexibility
- Intent to bring learning back to Yale-NUS College and share with the community
- Essays must be clear, well-written, and grammatically correct
Timeline and Process
- Late Oct 2016: Applications available from CIPE
- Nov 16: Application deadline (5:00 pm)
- Late Nov – Early Dec: Committee meets to select recipients; finalists may be interviewed
- Mid Dec: Applicants notified of decisions; recipients have a week to confirm acceptance of the Scholarship.
- Mid Jan – Late Mar, 2017: Individual programme deadlines and admissions decisions made; Scholarship recipients to notify CIPE once they decide which programme to attend
- Mar – May: Individual programme deposits and tuition payments due
- Late Apr: Scholarship recipients to attend all mandatory CIPE Summer Orientation sessions
- May – Aug: Summer programs in session
- Aug 7, 2017: First day of classes for Year 2-4
Please submit the Application Form to email@example.com by 5:00 pm on Nov 16, 2016 with the subject heading “Summer Arts Scholarship”.
Application should consist of
- How and why the study in a chosen programme fits into your academic, personal and professional development – this will include details of learning goals, rigor of courses, and why the location and school
- Provide Programme details (as much detail as you can inclusive of dates, times, courses, teachers)
Acceptance into this scholarship is conditional upon your participation in a 2-day Pre-Departure Orientation in end April and submission of reflections post-summer.